Went around today and picked up some supplies. Mushroom compost, vermiculite, screws, other odds and ends. Plus I got two more packs of flowers, 1ea 4.5" aster & a 6 pack of asters. Pretty little things they are.
Went out back to redo the 16"x16"x12" deep container that had the cuke in it. The cuke got tossed a couple days ago. Set up my buckets and pans to keep the potting mix separate. The bottom portion had the water saving crystals in that portion already the next portion was the charcoal layer and the top portion was what I was going to redo as I did not have ironite in it. Got my five gallon bucket set and started removing the top portion. Came to a WTF moment. The burlap had rotted. I expected it to last at least a couple years and it has like been only about six weeks since I put it in. I had no recollection from my childhood farm days how long burlap lasted in wet conditions. So much for believing what I had read and seen on you tube about burlap. Must be they are using burlap treated against rot. So I finished bucketing the top layer, took the charcoal layer of about two inches and put that in a small pail. Removed the bottom layer and put that in the cement mixing pan which is about 20"x30"x5" deep. Tore out the burlap and washed out the container. Figured I had the container emptied I would do it up to 16" deep and add the 45 degree corners making an octagon. Made another trip to the store and got short roll of aluminum window screening. They claim aluminum will not rot and last like 500 years underground according to a soda can thickness. Seen that in my search on aluminum rotting. I knew it did not rot but at screen thickness I was not sure. I can remember pulling up aluminum screening from lot cleaning that was not rotten in my construction days.
With that emptying job completed I hauled the container to the garage and added 4" to the height and put in the 45 degree corners. That was as far as I got on that as it was late in the day when I finished my shopping and emptied the container.
The other day I did pre cut all the boards for two more containers I was planning on. That is still setting in the garage to be assembled.
Tomorrow I will add the aluminum screening to the inside of the box, refill the bottom layer that has the water saving crystals in it. then the charcoal layer and the top layer I will need to add the ironite and the mushroom compost plus vermiculite. Then I will transplant a squash plant in it I have started that is doing pretty good.
When I emptied the container the potting mix was moist but not dry or ringing wet. Moist enough to make a ball in your hand that did not drip water or fall apart from being to dry.
Then I will work on transplanting those pretty flowers in 10" containers.
Looks like I will need to redo the four other containers I have that have the tomatoes and peppers in them when they are done for the season. Add the 45 degree corners and put compost in top layer.
For some reason Just potting mix and a couple handful's of black cow does not give a good growing mix. For the time they have been in there they should show more vigor and growth. I will need to do like the guy that lived on Walden Pond and tug on the plants to get them to grow faster. I visited Walden Pond some time ago and it has my stone in the stone pile I threw in.
October 2019 September 2019 August 2019 July 2019 June 2019 May 2019 April 2019 March 2019 February 2019 January 2019 December 2018 November 2018 October 2018 September 2018 August 2018 July 2018 June 2018 May 2018 April 2018 March 2018 February 2018 January 2018 December 2017 November 2017 October 2017 September 2017 August 2017 July 2017 June 2017 May 2017 April 2017 March 2017 February 2017 January 2017 December 2016 November 2016 October 2016 September 2016 August 2016 July 2016 April 2016 February 2016 January 2016 December 2015 November 2015 October 2015 July 2015 June 2015 May 2015 March 2015 January 2015 December 2014 November 2014 October 2014 September 2014 August 2014 July 2014 June 2014 May 2014 April 2014 March 2014 February 2014 January 2014 December 2013 November 2013 October 2013 September 2013 August 2013 July 2013 June 2013 May 2013 April 2013 March 2013 February 2013 January 2013 December 2012 November 2012 October 2012 September 2012 August 2012 July 2012 June 2012 May 2012 April 2012 March 2012 February 2012 January 2012 December 2011 November 2011 October 2011 September 2011 August 2011 July 2011 June 2011 May 2011 April 2011 March 2011 February 2011 January 2011 December 2010 November 2010 October 2010 September 2010 August 2010 July 2010 June 2010 May 2010 April 2010 March 2010 February 2010 January 2010 December 2009 November 2009 October 2009 September 2009 August 2009 July 2009 June 2009 May 2009 April 2009 March 2009 January 2009 December 2008 November 2008 October 2008 September 2008 August 2008 July 2008 June 2008 May 2008 April 2008 March 2008 February 2008 January 2008 December 2007 November 2007 October 2007 September 2007 July 2007 June 2007 May 2007 April 2007 March 2007 February 2007 January 2007 December 2006 November 2006 October 2006 September 2006 August 2006 July 2006 June 2006 May 2006 April 2006 March 2006 February 2006 January 2006 December 2005 November 2005 October 2005 September 2005 August 2005 July 2005 June 2005 May 2005 April 2005 March 2005 February 2005 January 2005 December 2004 November 2004 October 2004 September 2004 August 2004 July 2004 June 2004 May 2004